Sunday 5 April 2009

Domestic Goddess or Food Glorious Food!

I don't quite know what's come over me. Since taking Spriva and finding my breath again (as well as having a very health appetite thanks to the steroids i'm on) I seem to have turned into a domestic goddess (hubby's term not mine....lol).

We've been shopping this weekend, to get lots of kitchen gadgets (like a mandolin and griddle pan) as well as lots of staple ingredients like herbs and spices......gone are all the pre-made sauces. Everything is cooked from scratch so we know exactly what we are eating and able to reduce our salt and fat intake. I have to say I feel wonderful for it.

I have to confess, not all of my cooking is totally without "sin" for want of a better word. I made some gorgeous chocolate and hazelnut crackle cookies that were all chewy in the centre. Needless to say, they haven't lasted long....lol

I've made some gorgeous chutney with half of the lovely tomatoes that I got from the farm shop yesterday, the other half i've turned into a pomodoro sauce that can form a base to a lot of dishes and it freezes well too.

Hubby, thanks to Gordon Ramsey, made the most delicious roast chicken dinner today. It was so juicy and flavourful, it was the best chicken i've eaten in ages.....but guess who got left with the tidying up? Hurumph....lol!!!!!

Anyway, in case anyones interested, here is my pomodoro recipe. It is fantastic to make up a huge batch and freeze in portion sized bags so you can just pull out what you need when you need it. It's yummy as is with spaghetti or can add to cooked mince and chicken or even add chilli's to pep it up a bit. It's such a great base.

2 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed
50ml olive oil
1tsp oregano leaves
1kg good flavoured tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp of fresh basil,

Gently heat the garlic and oregano in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes until soft, without colouring. Add the tomatoes, bring to the boil, season and simmer gently for 40 minutes. Add basil and simmer for further 1-2 minutes.

Well that's my foodie blog for the day....lol

xxx

PS. Congrats Jo (Miss Twig) on getting your date at the Harefield. You'll have to let me know how everything goes. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you. Good luck x

No comments:

Post a Comment